Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Motives

"[He] calls me up to say [he]'s coming over.. So I run home, just to wait around.. I'm so addicted to you, and you're such a dick to me." -Lyrics from Lit

Maybe it's just infatuation, but sometimes you realize you would do anything for someone. Well.. maybe you'd just do alot for them. But how do you know what your motives are? Is it infatuation? Is there a clear line between infatuation (where the perceived end result is probably selfish) and genuine concern for a person? I mean, what if you're both infatuated and genuinely concerned? That can happen, right?

Can you genuinely love a person if you're also infatuated with them? I mean, is that at all possible? I guess you would have to grow out of your infatuation by choosing to look at what's best for them; as opposed to selfish motives. But can you ever completely rid yourself of selfish motives??

I don't know. I mean, think about it. Say you love someone. Someone who's going through a tough time and their life is a mess. If you want to show this person love- and I mean real love (aka loving them for who they are, love that their actions can't change)- well, MOST ways you look at it, you're trying to love them for selfish results. Like so they'll love you back.. or at least appreciate you.. or even just so you can grow up through loving them "selflessly." Can you ever get away from selfish motives?

Are selfish motives even wrong? Should we be trying to get away from them? Aren't they what drive pretty much everything we do? Well, if selfish motives drive essentially all human choices, they can't be all wrong; we'd never be able to win!

Too much thinking, time for bed. Sorry this post didn't end up making much sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment