Thursday, March 3, 2011

Electric Cars

So the whole idea of having (100%) electric cars is great. Actually, I think it's really cool. But is there a reason why electric cars are still so ugly? I'm not buying one until I have the money they start designing them to look less like squashed bugs and.. leaves. Yes, you, Nissan.

Anyway, it's like any product when it first comes out. Take, for example, the new Mac Air Laptops; they made a couple preliminary ones, basically, to prove they could even make laptops that small.. Now Apple can work out all the bugs & put some actual storage on the things, so people will buy them. Until then, people aren't getting excited about buying a computer with a 128MB (flash) drive. I, personally, don't need to buy a new laptop in 2 years when the new 11" models come out with 256MB. Thanksss.

Which brings us back to electric cars. They're still so early on in their species, that we're fine about waiting until our current cars get totaled by idiots backing up in the parking lot these things have proven to be reliable... and look less like bowel movements.

I would also like to mention that our school (UMD, College Park) is going to start charging ~$200 for people who drive cars onto campus. Unless, of course, they drive ONE of TWO cars. You guessed it, the Nissan Leaf and/or the Chevy Volt. In which case you would get a discount on your parking permit- though I'm not sure if this is after or before the $200 charge. In any case, my college is charging penniless students unless they buy a new car.

Oh, or I could take the bus. Except I value my time & life more than that (For those of you who didn't hear about the UMD shuttle driver who drove drunk & crashed into another bus; and those of you who have stood at the bus stop & watched the bus drive by because it is too full of students to stop). I also like waiting out in the cold an extra hour when the bus apparently came 15 minutes early.

So. Let me know what you think about this post/electric cars/charging impecunious students unless they buy a new car/& the Mac Air! I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment